Sunday 15 January 2012

I can’t work out my own rhythms (or at least it is taking me ages).

I’m having great difficulty working out how to dictate the rhythms for Paula’s song today. It’s very frustrating. I’m not sure whether I’m playing an exactly notate-able rhythm, or whether it’s just a kind of swung rhythm over a sometime salsa beat, sometimes 7/8 time signature rhythm. It’s very bizarre, and something that I find quite often happens: when you’ve arrived at something through a kind of gradual building up of layers of improvisation (Bayesian improvisation?!?), the rhythms feel very natural, but as soon as you try and dictate it, the “having-to-find-the-beat-ness-and-time-signature-ness” of everything messes with your mind and everything starts to sound stunted and forced. Or maybe I”m just being particularly slow today...


Actually this usually means I’ve got to have a break - I end up not being able to see the musical wood for the rhythmical trees, as it were. So I’m going to give up and watch Sherlock Holmes. The “just give up and come back to it later” compositional technique always works surprisingly well I find....


....and it did. I’ve sorted the rhythms out. Proof that procrastination works. Sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment